You want to know how to cut a chain link fence? Below you can find out the easiest and most effective ways.
- Estimated Completion Time: 1 hour
- Experience Required: Medium
- Tools Required: Mini Bolt Cutter, Marker
- Materials Required: Chain Link Fence
METHOD A – STEP 1) Mark the Strand
- Chain link has a woven construction so to make sure you follow the same strand when cutting, it’s best to mark it from bottom to top.
- Use a marker and follow the strand of wire that you’d like to cut.
METHOD A – STEP 2) Cut One Strand of Wire
- Grab a mini bolt cutter and cut the marked strand from bottom to top.
- Make sure you follow the strand of wire which is marked so you get a straight line.
METHOD A – STEP 3) Remove the Excess
- Remove the small offcuts of wire that are weaved in the intact piece of chain link.
METHOD A – STEP 4) Pull Away the Cut Down Part
- After you’re done removing the offcuts, pull the separated section away from the rest of the roll.
METHOD B – STEP 1) Mark the Strand
- To make sure you follow the same strand when unhooking the ends, mark along the length of the strand where you’d like your first section to end.
METHOD B – STEP 2) Undo Ends of the Wire
- Use a plier to unhook the top and bottom ends of the strand you just marked.
- Straighten the wire’s ends so you can untwist it through the links easily.
METHOD B – STEP 3) Unweave the Strand of Wire
- Start untwisting the strand while pulling it towards you.
- Work with a partner as you need the extra hands to unweave the strand.
METHOD B – STEP 4) Separate the Sections
- If you unwove the strand of wire all the way, you’ll automatically have two clean sections of chain link so you just need to separate them by pulling them apart.
- Unweaving a strand is easier and quicker to do than cutting through each individual link so the second method is recommended for shortening this type of fencing.
- Make sure to unroll the chain link fence the correct way: you should do this on a flat even surface and the loose end of the roll should face upwards.
- How to Unroll Chain Link Fence – Learn about the correct way to unroll chain link fence without damaging its twisted construction
- How to Install a Chain Link Fence (Traditional) – A step by step guide showing you how to install this type of mesh in a traditional way