Below you will find a step by step guide on how to unroll and shorten a roll of chain link fence correctly.
- Estimated Completion Time: 10 minutes
- Experience Required: Low
- Tools Required: Wire Cutters, Pliers, Protective Gloves
- Materials Required: Chain Link Fence
STEP 1) Unpacking the Roll
- Cut the tying wires that are used to fasten the roll and keep it from unraveling.
- Do this carefully so that you don’t cut into the mesh itself.
- Tip: Use protective gloves to shield your hands from any cuts or scratches the wire might cause.
STEP 2) Correctly Unrolling the Fence
- Place the roll on the ground with the loose end upwards, facing in your direction.
- Pay attention to the direction of the roll, as the chain link can get damaged if it’s being dragged on the ground while unrolling.
- Start unrolling the mesh carefully, making sure it’s not getting caught in anything.
STEP 3) Shortening in Length
- Chain link can be cut to size but it’s easier to shorten its length by detaching two sections.
- You can do this by unweaving one strand of wire where you want the first section to end.
- First you need to open the loops at the top and then untwist the wire with pliers or by hand. Make sure to wear gloves.
STEP 4) Finishing Touches
- Gently pull the mesh further to unroll it completely.
- That’s it, you’re done! You can now install the chain link as a garden perimeter fencing, use it as an animal enclosure or whatever else that comes to your mind.
- If you need any advice for installing it, just let us know and we’ll be happy to help.
- Unrolling the mesh will be easier on a flat and even surface.
- This will also prevent the mesh from getting damaged while unrolling.
- You can cut the chain link instead of unweaving a strand to shorten it in length. Just make sure to wear protective gloves and use sharp wire clippers.
- If you wish to create a shorter height, you can cut the wires one by one.
- After cutting them to the same length, you just need to fold the end of the wires back and hook them into each other like they were originally.