Below you will find steps with illustrations on how to make a DIY metal wire basket.
- Experience Required: Medium
- Tools Required: Protective Gloves, Tin Snips, Needle Nose Pliers, Marker, Tape Measure, Staple Gun
- Materials Required: Welded Wire Mesh, Thick Cardboard
STEP 1) Cut Out the Cardboard Base
- The first step is to decide the diameter you want for the basket.
- Mark the round base of the basket with a marker.
- Cut it out using tin snips.
STEP 2) Cut the Mesh
- Take a roll of welded mesh and cut down enough mesh to be able to wrap it around the base.
- Make sure that you leave excess wire on one side of the mesh so you can secure the ends together.
STEP 3) Attach the Mesh
- Secure the ends of the mesh by weaving the excess wire at one end through the holes on the other end, then bending it backwards to create a hook.
STEP 4) Twist Loose Edges Around Vertical Wire
- Make sure to wrap the loose wire edges completely around the vertical wire at every 5th hole so it doesn’t pull apart.
- You can then adjust the height of the basket by cutting down the mesh with tin snips.
STEP 5) Secure the Base
- Insert the base into the cylinder, to about a 3-4cm depth, then cut into the mesh at intervals to help with the round shape.
- Push the overhanging part of the mesh against the bottom of the base, then use a staple gun to attach them together.
STEP 6) Smoothen the Top of the Basket
- Use tin snips to cut down all the wire edges that poke out at the top of the basket.
- The edges should be completely smooth in order to not scratch you or snag onto anything that is stored in the basket.
STEP 7) Cut the Rope Handles
- Select a type of rope that suits your style best – make sure it’s thin enough to fit into the holes of your mesh.
- Cut two equal lengths that will be enough to form the handles.
STEP 8) Attach the Handles
- Weave the rope through the holes of the mesh and knot the two ends.
- Make sure that the knots are big enough so they don’t get pulled out through the holes.
- How to Straighten Rolled Wire Mesh – Step by step instructions on how to flatten welded mesh netting
- How to Cut Wire Netting – Learn how to cut netting with different thickness using the right tools
- DIY Wire Basket Drawers – A guide showing you how to make a basket drawer using the same materials