This blog will show you how using chicken wire in flower arrangements is a better idea than floral foam.
- Estimated Completion Time: ~1 Hour
- Experience Required: Low
- Tools Required: Pliers, Wire Cutters, Protective Gloves
- Materials Required: Chicken Wire, Vase, Flowers, Foliage
STEP 1) Measure the Width
- Place the vase on the chicken wire.
- The width of the mesh should be slightly larger than the width of the vase opening.
STEP 2) Measure the Height
- Measure the height of the vase.
- The length of the mesh that you need to cut is going to be the height of the vase times two.
STEP 3) Cut to Size
- Based on the previous measurements, cut the mesh to size.
- Make sure to wear a pair of protective gloves to avoid injuries and use wire cutters.
STEP 4) Fold the Mesh Into the Vase
- Gently fold the mesh inside the vase, but do not crumple it up.
- Take the two ends and bring them close together in a downwards movement.
- Once you have a ball-like cushion, push it to the bottom of the base so the flower stems can later go through both layers of mesh.
STEP 5) Pour Water Into the Vase
- Fill the vase with enough water if you are planning to use real flowers.
- If you are using artificial flowers, you can leave it empty.
STEP 6) Select Flowers
- Decide on what kinds of flowers you would like for the arrangement, select them and cut them to fit the vase.
- Don’t forget to add some greenery as well to give it a fuller look.
STEP 7) Place the Greenery in the Vase
- Always start with the greenery to conceal the mesh.
- After that, you can use the blooms to create a nice arrangement.
STEP 8) Finish Your Composition
- Insert the flowers into the vase.
- At this point you can follow a floral recipe or just simply arrange the composition to your liking.
- Arranging flowers with chicken wire is more beneficial for the plants as they are able to suck up water naturally
- The chicken wire insert can be reused multiple times for different arrangements so it’s a more environmentally friendly option over the floral foam
- Cutting Chicken Wire – Follow this step by step guide to learn how to cut chicken wire with different tools