Ever wondered how to install a barbed wire? Below is a complete guide with detailed instructions on how to do it yourself.
- Experience Required: Medium
- Tools Required: Hammer, Wrench, Protective Wear, Wire Cutter.
- Materials Required: Barbed Wire, Staples, Radisseurs
STEP 1: Safety First!
- Make sure you are equipped with protective eyewear, heavy duty gloves, boots, and clothing that prevents serious lacerations.
- Work with a partner to make the job safer and easier.
STEP 2: Posts and Spacing
- Place the posts approximately 2 – 2.5 meters apart from each other.
- At least 1/3 – 1/2 of the post height should be below ground level.
- Make sure the posts are properly cemented or pounded into the ground before tensioning the wire.
- Note: you can use both wooden or metal posts, however in the instructions below you’ll find wooden ones.
STEP 3: Mark the Posts
- Mark where each strand of wire should be on the posts.
- You can also mark the intermediate posts at the same height as the corner and starting posts to make your job easier.
STEP 4: Tie Barbed Wire to the First Post
- Starting from the bottom, fasten the first strand of barbed wire to the starting post at the appropriate height.
- Hook the wire around the post, twist it back and wrap it around itself 4-5 times to hold the tension.
- Carefully start unrolling the barbed wire until the corner / end post.
STEP 5: Tie Radisseur to the Post
- Once you’re at the first corner post / end post, use a piece of wire to tie the radisseur to the post at the same height level as the first line of barbed wire.
- Cut the first line of barbed wire where the post is, leaving an extra 10 cm.
- Attach the loose end to the radisseur by weaving it through the pin hole located at the middle of it.
STEP 6: Tension the Barbed Wire
- Tension the barbed wire with a wrench by twisting the pin on the radisseur in a clockwise direction.
- Use only one hand when stretching it.
STEP 7: Staple the Wire
- Once the first strand of barbed wire has been attached to the end posts, staple it one by one to each intermediate post.
- Start from the first post, keeping a consistent height at each one.
- Staple the wire closely to the posts, but make sure to allow a little room for movement.
STEP 8: Install the Rest of the Strands
- Repeat the above steps for additional lines of barbed wire.
- Make sure you keep a consistent tension on the wire.